Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Touching down

Only two days ago all I could think about was that I was leaving behind a great guy, a great relationship. Now, unfortunately, that's the least of my worries. How to describe Bangladesh? Overwhelming. Chaotic. Hot. Home? I'm not sure yet.

I have wondered in these first few days why I would choose to leave a great country like Australia where I had a great job, fabulous friends and family and a bloody comfortable life for this...where it's so hot (even now coming into winter) that makeup isn't an option, where extreme poverty is thrown in your face every second of every day and where the "comforts of home" don't provide much comfort. Is it too late to be re-posted, perhaps to a beach?

There is some real beauty here too. The people are friendly and amazingly generous - on the flight in to Dhaka I sat beside a lovely guy who's given me his number, invited my entire group to his family's house for lunch and offered to show me around town. And there is a lot of green beside the dirt and some calm among the choas.

This is gonna be tough. And I don't know if I will last a year. If I can, I'll be truly amazed at myself. I'll deserve that Longines watch I've wanted for ages. The irony is that if I do make it through this year, I won't want a Longines watch.

For now, my new mantra is 'one day at a time', which is all I'm capable of for now.

4 comments:

  1. Oh honey! My heart aches to give you a hug! I know that you are going to make the absolute most out of this experience and eventually, even come to enjoy it. I so hope that happens sooner rather than later. I'm not sure if this helps, but I'll remind you anyway- it's the most difficult things in life that are most worth doing! I know it's easy for me to say sitting at home in Taringa, but I'll never have this amazingly confronting and challenging, life changing experience! I know you can do it babe! Love you heaps and my thoughts and prayers are with you! Can't wait to hear from you again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it over there safe chicken. Take care and i'm so jealous. You can make it a year, you'll have a ball once you settle in, you won't want to come home. Just remember your going to make a difference in your life to others.
    Addison said you were a 'sexy lady' in the photos from bec's wedding. Look after yourself and look forward to reading your next blog. big hugs, Tina and Addison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sweetness - Reading your description of bangladesh thus far I was thinking... Casey can nail this! Have a little faith in yourself Sunshine! Afterall... what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!

    I'll have a mojito waiting for you on your return to Australia but until then, try to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience/lesson.

    *hugs you*

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey gorgeous girl. Wow, what an experience already - a bit of a shock to the system I guess but I know you'll adjust and make the absolute most of the challenges and experiences you're faced with. I have to say I'm missing you heaps already, but so proud of you for doing this.
    Thinking of you, looking forward to keeping up to date on all your adventures through your blog - great idea!
    Love,
    Tara.xox

    ReplyDelete