Friday, February 6, 2009

Knowing what I don’t want

After three months in Bangladesh it’s time to get out, take a break and come back ready to knuckle down. So this time next week I’ll be on a plane to China, to see Pi, travel to Xi’An and around the Yunnan Province with Emma, enjoy some wine, great food, shopping and fabulous conversation. I almost can’t imagine how luxurious it all will be.

Yesterday I went south-east to a town called Noakali to meet some of UNICEF’s child journalists. They are a great bunch of kids, and it’s an amazing project. The children (aged 13 – 18) receive journalism training and the support of a team leader to write a report every other month about child rights violations in their district. Free from the political motivations of adult journalists and understanding of the plight of other children, these child journalists are writing objective reports that are taken seriously, even by government. And, to be selfish about it, it’s nice to meet some children who have happy, prosperous lives ahead of them.

Noakali itself is beautiful and green and peaceful, and even has a Ghandi Tribute Museum that we stopped at on our way back to Dhaka.

The things I see here on a daily basis are cause for much reflection. I don’t want to become accustomed to the staring or the begging or the poverty that surrounds me. At the same time, if I let it affect me, it’s hard to survive.

It’s funny to think it’s possible to travel across the world to discover what it is in life you DON’T want.

Perhaps it’s more a sign that my generation, with our endless opportunities and the world at our feet, is hard to please. Never happy with what we have. Thinking the grass is always greener.

But if nothing else, this year seems to be showing me what is important in life. Namely, having the people you love around...because what good is a life full of adventure, travel and amazing experiences if you don’t have someone to share them with?

And it’s quite possible that I’ve come all this way to realise that, actually, what I want I had all along. And there are things I have lost now by coming here, but I suppose it’s all in the name of becoming a better person. So it’s hard to regret that at least.

Happy Birthday Vin.

No comments:

Post a Comment