Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A hedonist learns about discipline

I freely admit that self control and discipline are things about which I know little (in the sense that I can apply it to my own life).

I’ve just returned from Delhi and Kathmandu over the Muslim Eid and Hindu Durga Puja holidays. Leading up to this festivity has been Ramadan. Ramadan is a month of fasting from eating, drinking, smoking and indulging in anything that is in excess, including sex, between dawn and sunset, which aims to teach modesty, spirituality and patience. Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and is determined by the phase of the moon. The resilience and determination that this shows is incredibly impressive.

By default I’ve learnt a bit about discipline this Ramadan. Being out in the field often means food hasn’t been available, or I’ve felt far too rude to eat in front of those who are fasting. And dating a charming Muslim has also given me the opportunity to understand the commitment it takes.

During Ramadan work hours are shortened and concessions are made to support those who are fasting. Many shops are closed and road side stalls are curtained off out of respect. The resolve and good humour that my Muslim friends here have shown during Ramadan is truly inspiring.

There isn’t much that I can’t have if I want it badly enough. I’m young, I have every opportunity for happiness, the world is at my feet - I lead a freely, pleasure-seeking, hedonistic lifestyle. I don’t know what it’s like to really go without.

I remember with horror back to Catholic primary school when one day every year we were forced to eat just one cup of boiled rice for lunch as a reminder of the flight of those less fortunate. And boy, have I seen it for myself now. And I occasionally gave up something small and insignificant (like chocolate or swearing – the good Catholic that I am clearly not) for lent, but nothing like the commitment and discipline I’ve witnessed here.

Sadly the days of one cup of boiled rice for lunch are probably long gone with child protection and political correctness as it is (not that this is a bad thing, with health and free will to consider) but I’m glad that I did it, even if it was by force. I see the importance of it, the lesson learned and the discipline it endeavours to inspire. And for this hedonist? It’s a lesson in discipline worth learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment