Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bittersweet goodbyes

In Bangladesh we don’t say ‘goodbye’. Instead we say ‘abar dehka hobe’ (see you soon).

So, it is with tears in my eyes and a strangled voice that I tell my colleagues that I will see them soon, although I know I won’t and I leave my new and incredible friends and this life behind because today I leave Bangladesh for the sunny shores of Australia.

There are many things about Bangladesh that I will miss. I’ve made friendships here that are truly special and I’m incredibly sad to leave these people behind, but I have to hope we’ll stay in touch and will see each other again.

A special and truly heartfelt thanks to Clancy, Rach, LJ, Nat, Tarek, Muraly, Nadith, Denis, James and Shilpi Ma. You guys in particular have made this year so much more rewarding and remarkable.

I’ve learnt huge amounts about myself, what I’m capable of and what I’m not, about who I am and what I want, about development and aid, about the world, about religion, faith and spirituality, and most importantly I’ve learnt that chasing your dreams can only lead you in the right direction.

I don’t know what comes next. But after this incredible year, whatever it is, I know I can deal with it.

Abar dehka hobe Bangladesh. Ami tomra bhalobasha.

1 comment:

  1. somehow randomly stumbled across this page through a facebook update that my dear friend muraly made.
    I found a sense of solace in this.
    Not sure why.
    I know it wasn't because of i'm a bangladeshi who bid this land goodbye a long time ago.
    Wasn't because i've chosen melbourne as my new home.
    Wasn't because of the strange ironny of a cosmic role reversal linked through obscure websites in the middle of a trivial night.
    i just sensed a natural empathy in your words for a place i believed the world had forgotten a long time ago.

    And here i am... after countless years... back in dhaka for reasons i'm not entirely sure of.

    and it's funny how i'm reading a visitor's goodbye to land that i've never been able to call my own.

    i hope you come back someday :)

    regards,

    Zawad

    ReplyDelete